Friday, August 12, 2011

First School Week

Yesterday, we concluded week one of school here at YISS.  It was great!  I'm still getting used to having 85 minute class periods instead of 45, so some improvisation was required, but we got through :)  Nothing like a 2 minute stretch break to figure out what you're going to do with the last 20 minutes of class.  Some of the kids even laughed at my jokes.  Maybe they think it will improve their grade.

My kids are fantastic.  They are all very polite, and actually make eye contact and say 'hi' to me of their own volition!  It's completely uncool for an American student to act like they care about the teacher, so it's very refreshing and rewarding for kids to be interested in talking to me.  They come from a variety of faith backgrounds from Christians raised in a Christian home, to Muslims whose parents were just barely okay with them coming to our school.  And everything in between.  I look forward to getting to know them and (hopefully) having an impact on their faith journeys.

I am also cognizant of the friendships forming with my fellow staff members - especially those of us who are new.  It would be easy now that school is going to become isolated, working, going home, relaxing, and not spending time with them.  But I don't want that, and furthermore I think God has called us to more than isolated lives of individual service.  We need those relationships to serve and live to our fullest potential, and it is through those relationships that we garner great blessings of joy and fellowship.  So I'll be looking for (and creating) opportunities to spend time with people outside of school.

It may be difficult to live in a balanced fashion, with the duties (and optional commitments) of school and students, building friendships, maintaining prior relationships, and becoming involved in the local church.  I need much wisdom to prioritize and manage time so that I am maximizing what I can do here.  By the grace of God, I pray that I can do all these things well, and that none will suffer because of the others.

Tonight, we've been invited to go to my principal's house for dinner and fellowship.  I'm looking forward to spending time with everybody.  On Monday, I plan on taking a photo walk to get and post some pictures of my usual haunts in order to share them with y'all (on Facebook).

That's all for now!  Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment